Unexplained Crashing

spirojunk 20:13 07 Nov 2006

I recently put together a computer for my girlfriend and it seems to work ok, but keeps crashing irregularly. It is a completely fresh install of Windows XP on a formatted hard drive, and there is little else installed other than Office, Firefox and Spyware/Anti Virus/Firewall software.

It can crash at any time, after turning on, or after being on for hours. The computer isn't being worked hard, only ever having Firefox and Word open at the same time.

Using Speedfan I have checked the temperatures which all seem to be reasonable except something labelled AUX which occasionally goes to 50C, but rarely higher.

The computer is an Intel Celeron skt 478 2.8Ghz, Asus P4800SE Deluxe, Antec PSU, 512mb RAM, 80GB SATA HD.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why it is crashing so often?

rsinbad 20:22 07 Nov 2006

May be an idea to look at the event veiwer to give you an idea of possible cause.

rght click my computer select manage event veiwer

BBW 20:23 07 Nov 2006

I had a similar problem, I found that reducing the CPU/Memory speed in the BIOS partly cured the problem. A complete cure was setting the hard disc to 'Cable select' It seems the modern hard disc prefers this arrangement as opposed to old way of Master or Slave.

BBW 20:38 07 Nov 2006

The other thing I found that would give me a blue screen was: The mother board has three sockets for memory. I would fit two strips in socket one and two. Until I picked up a tip. Use socket One and three only. When I returned to 1 & 2, Blue screen almost immediately.

spirojunk 20:40 07 Nov 2006

Thanks for the suggestions but I think my hard disk is on Cable Select (I'll check), and I only have one stick of RAM, so that trick isn't applicable.

Any other ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone