Unexpected updates (?)

Creditman 18:51 17 Nov 2004

In last 2 days, soon after logging on, a window pops up headed "windows installer" in the blue header & "preparing to install...." in the text box. Another similar message about product drivers then appears. So far I have not allowed these to continue (with difficulty, having to hit the cancel button several times) being wary of their origin. Can anyone explain these please & tell me if its ok to let them continue ? This is on Windows XP Home & Norton AV & Zonealarm are switched on. Many thanks. PS I wonder if these might be the result of my using the latest PCA cover disc AxeLab Win Speedup which told me I could safely get rid of a load of files....

Buchan 35 19:06 17 Nov 2004

Hi Creditman,
I use XP Pro, not far removed from yours and every time I check Windows Updates I get no updates. Have you installed SP2 and if so have you requested to be informed of new updates?My personal view is that you have`nt so I suggest looking for (in your browser)Spybot and AdAware
and then keep them updated. They`re freeware

Creditman 12:18 18 Nov 2004

Buchan 35 - Thanks, but SP2 is installed & I am notified of updates. Adaware is kept uptodate. I have also checked & found there are no critical updates waiting to be installed.Since I started this thread I have cancelled the changes made with WinSpeedup & so far there has been no repetition of the problem. So - fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?