Unexpected Shutdown

ened 16:21 13 Dec 2010

I put together a new machine a few weeks ago. I am using Vista 64 with all the latest updates.

I already have a thread running about the Video drivers,click here which I have yet to resolve but I don't think that is the cause of this problem.

After about three weeks of fairly hard use (photo-editing and creating DVDs which has put the cpu usage into the red) last Thursday the screen went haywire and the machine re-booted. It happened again at 3:am Saturday morning and again yesterday afternoon at about 4:30.

It has been suggested I might have a faulty memory module: is that likely after three weeks? Would it not have manifested itself before now?

The Event Viewer appears to show no cause but two Applications recorded errors immediately prior to the shutdowns: first it was DIVX then Chrome. I have uninstalled both and am now waiting to see what happens, since the random shutdowns appeared to be about 36 hours apart.

The only other anomaly in the Event Viewer is that after every occurrence the System shows that i8042prt has failed to load. This is apparently to do with the PS2 mouse/keyboard which I am not using (Logitech LX700 keyboard and MX Revolution).

Rather than sit and wait for another incident I am desperately trying to find the cause - is it likely to be some software?

Has anybody experienced this and resolved it?

northumbria61 17:21 13 Dec 2010

There is a solution which may work for you in this LINK click here which relates to "i8042prt" error. It means a Registry Edit but worth trying - you can always "reverse" it if it doesn't work for you. (make a note of the current regisytry settings for this)

Note: Scroll down the link and look for "Ramis KAYIM" - Jan 04/2010

northumbria61 17:23 13 Dec 2010

Also scroll further down that LINK to see what "techSage" has to say about it.

Bris 19:52 13 Dec 2010

Re memory modules: Mine lasted 3 months before 1 module went west and a top spec Corsair at that. So not unusual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?