Unexpected shutdown

EFC1878 14:04 17 Aug 2010

Up until recently my pc has bene working fine. Howeve rit recent weeks it has unexpectedly shut down on a quite a few occassions. There seems to be no discernable pattern of activity before the shutdown and I have not been doing any tasks that I would normally associate the pc being overworked with [e.g. vuideo editing]. IN fact I have only bene surfing the net and nothing more.

Any ideas what could be causing this problem?

I do clean inside the cas eon a regular basis to remove dust in an attempt to prevent overheating.

I am concerned as I often do video editing and rendering to dvd and would not want to run the risk of a random shutdown during the process and so would welcome any advise.

Cheers

MAJ 14:14 17 Aug 2010

It usually happens when there's a driver fault or a memory fault. Windows is, by default, set to shutdown if it encounters a 'serious' problem. You can change that behaviour by going into the System Properties, on Vista, right-click Computer, choose Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery section > Settings button > System Failure section and untick the 'Automatically Restart' option click OK, Apply and OK to exit. Now if your computer encounters the problem again, rather than shutting down, it will give you an error message. That message might be helpful to us in diagnosing your problem.

lotvic 14:15 17 Aug 2010

Sounds like Overheating. Could be a faulty fan. Take side off PC and switch on and have a look.

MAJ 14:16 17 Aug 2010

The computer will still be unusable until you reboot though.

ened 06:34 16 Dec 2010

I see this was four months ago and I don't know whether you have resolved the issue, but I have just experienced the exact same symptoms click here

I think I may have resolved it but it is early days as my machine was crashing approximately every 36 hours.

For some reason (which I have yet to ascertain) my new machine would not play sound on Real Media (rm &ram). I tried the codec packages and DIVX all of which have been okay in the past. No Joy!

So I installed RealPlayer.

I have now uninstalled RealPlayer and have not had a crash for 48 hours.

If it is still okay next week I shall close my thread but I thought this info might help you or anybody else with a similar problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?