Unexpected shut down every time

DerekE 14:00 25 Jul 2006

Windows XP Pro, Athlon FX, Nvidia SLi cards. About 8 to 10 mins after I switch on the system shuts down as if I have pulled the power plug (i.e. no "proper" windows shutdown).

I can then restart with no indication of anything wrong and usually it will remain on after this with no additional problems. There has been the odd occasion when it has shut down again within a few minutes but this is very rare.

There are no indications from the Event log of any application or system problems. I have run my AV (AVG), Ad Aware and SpyBot and nothing there either.

I have had suggestions of a "hidden" trojan or spyware and I should either re format and reload windows or run a spy/AV check with System Restore turned off. I personally suspect a hardware problem but before I talk to the supplier (it is still under warranty), I would appreciate if there is anything else I can check first.

jimv7 14:06 25 Jul 2006

Check temperatures of the cpu and mobo. You might have a slow fan.

DerekE 14:10 25 Jul 2006

No problem there as I have temperature indicators on the front panel showing maximum 38 degrees for system and 37 degrees for HD and 406 degrees for CPU. As I say, system runs fine after initial shutdown and even when the temperature has been high the last week or so, the 5 fans have kicked in faster and temperatures have never exceeded those above.

DerekE 14:11 25 Jul 2006

Sorry, 40 degrees for CPU (not in hyperspace just yet for temperatures)

vinnyT 14:30 25 Jul 2006

Agree it sounds hw related, could it be your psu (although why it sholud work fine on next boot I don't know), is a good make?

Your temps look to be fine, esp in this weather.

Sorry can't be much help.

vinnyT 14:33 25 Jul 2006

Another thought, is any software set to enable itself (for scan, defrag, etc.) say, 8-10 min on booting? Again I don't think it is sw related, but, just asking.

Gongoozler 14:43 25 Jul 2006

If your computer memory is in more than one module, try with one of them removed.

DerekE 17:05 25 Jul 2006

Thanks for these suggestions, I have 2 memory cards so I will remove one at a time. There is nothing showing on scheduler or the specific applications, I will try tonight and post back.

If not I guess a call to the supplier helpline (Evesham) but I imagine they will ask me to reformat etc.which I would rather not do due to the mass of Flight Simulator stuff I have added.

jimv7 17:21 25 Jul 2006

Have you tried,

Right click 'my computer' properties/advanced/startup and recovery/settings and untick the box 'automatically restart'

DerekE 19:28 25 Jul 2006

Thanks Jimv7, it doesn't automatically restart I have to press the start button each time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?