Unexpected Outgoing TCPs,ICMPs,UDPs

Ol' Greyhair 23:13 06 Feb 2004

Being slow off the mark, I recently installed a McAfee firewall – it seems to be working OK. I’m not too concerned about incoming packets - shows it's doing its job. But was does concern me are the number of blocked outgoing TCP,UDP,ICMP items I'm getting - not because they're being blocked but because they're there. Putting a trace on them shows that some might be results of site visits made over the years, most seem to revolve around Whois databases and many I haven’t got a clue about. For example, a group revolve around Energis – why they are being pinged from my PC, I really do not know. I’ve used Adaware and Spybot to see if they would isolate the originating file – they got rid of others but not these. I’ve renewed Index.dat in Cookies and burnt the cookies – no good – still pinging out. I've virus scanned etc and they don't show as nasties but where are these coming from inside my little box and can they be stopped. I am totally wary and pigged off with sub Trojan type things being chucked inside my whirring beast when I wasn’t looking.
Ol’ Greyhair

VoG II 23:31 06 Feb 2004

Turn off the alerts and relax! Your firewall is protecting you.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:00 07 Feb 2004

The alerts are total cobblers. No 'hacker' will try to enter a home computer. Turn off the alerts as they are as much use as a chocolate teapot. Keep your AV up to date and DO NOT WORRY.

G

User-312386 00:04 07 Feb 2004

like the "chocolate teapot" remark

Ol' Greyhair 00:25 07 Feb 2004

Many thanks for the replies, I know what you mean about chocolate thingies, not worrying and that the wall is working. I also go along with the lack of real threat bit. But it's as much the principle of the thing - someone's crept in, crapt, and crept out again, leaving what was an open line to themselves. I know it's the way of things nowadays and we're all supposed to accept it but I would just like the satisfaction of isolating the source within my machine or better still, zapping it. Very sad, I know, but it'd make an old man very happy - well, reasonably happy anyway.
Ol' Greyhair

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?