UNEXPECTED LOSS OF FILE

bilk 11:20 02 Oct 2008

Computer three years old Windows SP 1, 2 and 3 Office 2007 1GB memory Working on a large text file containing diagrams (100KB+) I find I suddenly have only one page of text. The file still shows the orignal size of 100KB+ but saving and reopening gives me just the one page. Am completely unable to find the missing file either by date, file size under another name or with a file recovery application. I work and save everything I do on an external hard drive though I have more that adequate internal hard drive capacity.
Am reasonably satisfied this is notcaused by main spikes or any other nasty and I save regularly as I work This does not happen regularly and I cannot simulate it but always when I have files of over 100KB (clearly Murphy's Law) Hlp would be vey much appreciated
Bilk

hiwatt 11:43 02 Oct 2008

You could try a system restore to a date before the problem?

hiwatt 11:44 02 Oct 2008

I don't really understand what you mean?

bilk 18:57 02 Oct 2008

Thank you hiwatt for coming back so promptly.I tried system restore successfully to the day previous to the loss but this did not restore the file.
To try and be a bit more explicit I was typing text in an open file with about 30 pages behind me when I suddenly realised I only had the page I was typing. All the others had diappeared.
Looking in the folder the file still appeared to be the size I expected it to be but I made the mistake of saving the single page I was now confronted with and the file in the folder was immediately reduced to that single page.
Is it possible that by doing all my work directly to an external drive a file could be suddenly lost. The application Microsoft Word is on the main C drive of course.
your comments again as and when convenient would be very welcome
Bilk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?