Unexpected date changes in Microsoft Works 9?.

spuds 17:25 27 Aug 2014
Answered

Opening some documents in Microsoft Works V9, I have found that the original dates on the documents have changed to the present date, with explanation. For example the document was printed on (say) 1st March 2013, its now showing today's date 27th August 2014.

The original documents were 'saved' on the day they were written, and all seems well till now. In the history, the original dates are shown, so this enables me to correct the error.

Any ideas or suggestions to what might have gone wrong, and if so, any suggestions to stop this happening again in the future?.

alanrwood 09:59 28 Aug 2014

Are the dates actually "Fields" in the document or were they specifically typed in as text.

spuds 10:16 28 Aug 2014

alanrwood

They were typed in as part of the original letter, and saved as such.

Having had a recheck, the date change error only seems to appear when the document is re-opened, what is even more stranger (to me) is the problem only seems to appear on a few documents and not all that I have checked.

Woolwell 10:29 28 Aug 2014

It depends on how the dates are inserted. If it is a date field, as opposed to typing in the date, then they will update. In Word there is an option to stop the automatic updating. I Haven't used Works for so long that I cannot remember if that facility exists.

spuds 10:40 28 Aug 2014

woolwell

The dates are placed as part of the worded complete document, and 'saved' as such.

On the documents that I have opened, that had a date change, I have re-inserted the original date, and even double-click on 'save', to see if this as resolved the issues. Yet to still check this out, as I want to leave it for a day or so, to see what happens (if that makes sense?).

bumpkin 11:06 28 Aug 2014

You could try forwarding the date on your PC and see what happens. won't cure it I know but may save you waiting to see the result.

Woolwell 11:35 28 Aug 2014

Are you using insert date?

spuds 07:51 29 Aug 2014

Woolwell.

No, because the date is part of the saved document.

Having just done a Google search, it would appear that I have raised the same question on this forum on 26 March 2013. click here

spuds 08:00 29 Aug 2014

I have just found an article for Works 9 and Vista that might look promising, even though its XP that I am using.

Tried posting a link, and get the message We think this is spam?.

Woolwell 09:06 29 Aug 2014

It doesn't matter if the date is saved. It depends on how the date was inserted in the first place. Did you type in the date or click on insert date?

A work round for we think this is spam is to use tinyurl.

spuds 10:05 29 Aug 2014

Woolwell - I keep explaining that I 'typed' the date in, as part of the document.

The rest of the document remains in the same form as originally typed, the date changes to the date the document is re-opened (ie) I open the document today, and today's date appears on a old document typed some time ago.

This doesn't happen with every opened document, only a few, hence my question why this is happening, when I have apparently done nothing different to change anything?.

I hardly use Works or write letters, but recently I have had need to return to past letters for reference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017