Unexpected consequence of installing XP SP3

Marvin Grunt 12:19 24 Sep 2008

Automatic updates recently installed Win XP SP3 quite successfully, but when I boot up,I get a small window on my desktop with 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' in the title bar. It stays there for about a minute and then disappears.What is THAT all about, please? Does it matter, and can I stop it?

Happy37 12:24 24 Sep 2008

Marvin

Do you get this window every time you log in, or just the once after you installed SP3?

Let us know.

Regards

Marvin Grunt 12:26 24 Sep 2008

It happened last night, after installing, and again this morniong.

Sea Urchin 12:30 24 Sep 2008

Try running this

click here

Marvin Grunt 12:39 24 Sep 2008

Thanks, sea urchin, but I tried that and it did not find the corrupt text string that was supposed to cause the problem.

Sea Urchin 14:13 24 Sep 2008

Have you checked on start up items? Go to Start > Run > type msconfig > OK and then Startup tab. Is there an entry cmd.exe? If so uncheck box beside it and click Apply > OK - it will prompt you to do a restart. When booting up you will be asked to confirm that you made the change - check Don't show this again and OK

Marvin Grunt 14:56 24 Sep 2008

Again, thanks, Sea Urchin, but there was no such start-up entry.

Sea Urchin 15:23 24 Sep 2008

This problem seems to be caused by a glitch in the download of SP3 - it appears to be a run-once batch file which actually runs each time you boot up. Somebody might know a registry fix to put this right, but I'm afraid I don't. Another approach would be to re-install SP3 which should cure it, but that might be a bit drastic.

Marvin Grunt 15:38 24 Sep 2008

Well, I haven't done anything, but on the last two boot-ups, the strange window did not appear. So it seems to have sorted itself out. Oddly, the first time it happened, two of these windows appeared and then disappeared one by one, then this morning only one appeared. On the third boot-up, none appeared. Weird! Thanks for the help, folks.

Sea Urchin 15:54 24 Sep 2008

Just out of interest - is this the first time you've rebooted since your posting at 12.39 today?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?