Unexpected connection to Internet

tootrock 10:12 14 Sep 2003

Recently my laptop has started connecting to the Internet randomly, so that I have to diconnect it from the phone line in my absence to prevent potential massive phone bills.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that this might be due to a virus. I have an up-to-date virus checker installed.
Can anyone help?

VoG II 10:16 14 Sep 2003

Might be spyware. Try running Spybot click here

Newuser579 10:29 14 Sep 2003

I've never 'ticked the box' so I don't know, but outlook express has options for how often to check for new messages, & connect if not online. Perhaps these settings are responsible. I don't know why they would have altered.

Peverelli 15:29 14 Sep 2003

Have you tried this? In Outlook Express, go to Tools > Options and on the General tab (underneath "If my computer is not connected at this time") select "do not connect". Also untick "Send and receive messages at startup".

choffe 15:42 14 Sep 2003

try control+alt+delete to see which programs are running, once you have located the offending program go to Start-find-files or folders and type in the program name which was running to locate its wareabouts on the hard disk, then, delete it, if it says acess denied ctr+alt+del and left click the program then click end task then try to delete it again..
mcaffe suite is a good program to clear away any remaining scraps of program that may be left.
bit of a barbarric way to resolve problem, but it works.

Peverelli 15:58 14 Sep 2003

..but the program may be needed elsewhere, we just need to stop it dialling.

choffe 16:12 14 Sep 2003

unfortunately barbarism is usually my only advice...sorry..

graham√ 17:17 14 Sep 2003

tootrock must be waiting for the next random connection, VoG!

VoG II 17:20 14 Sep 2003

ROFLMAO :o)))

tootrock 18:17 14 Sep 2003

Thanks VoG,
I tried running Spybot (from a PC Advisor disc!) and the problem seems to have been cured. If it happens again I will try one of the other solutions. Fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache