unencrypted connection

loser7 21:03 05 Dec 2008

I recently had some trouble with my internet connection after updating win vista. and as a result i reset my adsl modem/router and created a new wireless connection for my laptop. I use wpa2 security and have checked that my connection is secure, but when i try to access sites or even open this thread, i get a 'security message' telling me that, information is going to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could easily be read by a third party.
I could uncheck the box and get rid of these warnings but i do not fully understand what they mean.
I use the internet to do my banking and also buy a lot online so am wary of this message.
Any advise would be appreciated.

brundle 21:21 05 Dec 2008

You're mixing up your terminology. The connection between your PC and your router, via the wireless medium is encrypted - that's your Local Area Connection. The communication from your PC, via the router, after it has been received and decrypted is sent `in the clear` to the internet.That's the Wide Area Connection. It's a standard warning you'll see with a fresh installation of Windows or when you reset browser settings or install a new browser. As long as you see the padlock on secure https sites your communications are safe.

loser7 19:52 06 Dec 2008

Thanks brundle, i have just read your reply and feel reassured that there is little or no risk.
I use a new version of mozilla firefox and the padlock does not appear when i open a secure site but if i click the icon to the left of the search bar it will give me details about the site and security.
Thanks again for clearing that up for me.

tullie 20:12 06 Dec 2008

Your padlock should be appearing and address of site should be https

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017