Under attack?

BrianW 23:31 31 Aug 2003

I'm on NTL BB, using Win98se with Zone Alarm and AVG6 protection. My system has been very slow in connecting with the web and e-mail today and when I checked Zone Alarm I see that I have been subjected to a continual barrage of pings (about every 30 secs or more often some time). These all appear to be from NTL addresses but from all around the world.

Anybody else been getting this? Is it a manifestation of the latest batch of worms etc? Whatever it is, it is a damned nuisance and is blocking many sites from being able to provide the normal service.

All I've had back from NTL "help" has been an automated response, "don't call us, we're busy, may get back to you some time"!

Thank god for firewalls and anti-virus (and old OS), so far, no visible penetration.

Peverelli 23:39 31 Aug 2003

It's not unusual for your ISP to be pinging you (normally to see if you're still there) but keep your guard up anyway - until somebody more knowledgable answers.

Giantsquid 23:47 31 Aug 2003

Noticed a slow down in the last few weeks myself of NTLBB they say that they have problem and are working on it (something cluster) so can we have a refund I bet not !

I feel myself looking at other BB, potentionally.

jazzypop 00:00 01 Sep 2003

It should be a temporary glitch. Check out the server status messages at ntlworld.com, and you will see that they are carrying out major mbr upgrades to improve the network. This necessitates an increase in pings, as the various nodes on the networks re-establish their routing paths.

pat2068 00:02 01 Sep 2003

I am also on NTL BB and have been experence slow down and not connection to NTL homepage

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:09 01 Sep 2003

You will NOT get hacked on a home computer. Hackers are not interested in the utter drivel that is on mine and everyone elses'.
The 'alerts/attacks' are merely computers on the net asking your computer if it is still connected, these queries are called handshakes. When you are connected to the net you could be going through many servers and routers. This occurs in a millisecond, so you do not notice and all these routers and servers need to know that your computer is receiving, so that they can send images and webpages to your IP which is, in effect, your mailbox or receiving station.

Turn off all the alert buttons/warnings on your firewall safe in the knowledge that you will not be hacked. NTL is experiencing a lot of problems recently, which are not connected with their £1.7bn of debt ;-)))))

G

Peverelli 00:16 01 Sep 2003

Hmmm. If home computers don't get hacked why did my trojan blocker have to prevent a keylogger trojan from sending out everything I had typed?

MjM Hellfire 00:39 01 Sep 2003

GANDALF was not implying that home PC's don't get hacked, EVER, he's merely stating the obvious, that people get worked up over this hacking thing.

You are more likely to get hit with a car than get properly hacked and hackers have nothing much to gain from a home pc.

However, prevention is better than the cure, so always have your guard up and keep the nasty files at bay with an up-to-date AV & firewall.

People really need to calm down over this hacking nonsense. It's amazing how a little bit of news coverage about MSblast suddenly gets people paranoid.

Take it easy folks and think about how many pc's there are in the world, the chances of you getting hacked are very small, even smaller with a good firewall.

BrianW 08:31 01 Sep 2003

Thanks for the response folks. To summarise: my service has been slowed down by a significant increase in the number of pings my machine has received. This has been caused by NTL trying to "improve" the service. So I shouldn't be worried about being hacked by the Sobig F (or its variants), just hacked off at being worried by the lack of service by my ISP!?

dth 11:01 01 Sep 2003

It may be to do with the recent Blaster problems. This attempts to connect to P/Cs and make use of the remote connection procedure facility (available on Win XPP) by scanning a range of common IP addresses.

On my own P/C I would normally receive about 10 pings (mainly from my ISP BT Internet) over a 30 minute period but over the last week it has been more like 800 an hour.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires