Undelivarable emails I have not sent

jay65gee 09:13 02 Dec 2014

For the last few weeks I have been receiving messages about emails I haven't sent that are not being delivered. My outgoing mailbox doesn't show these emails. A typical example follows at the bottom of this posting. All the messages have an attachment which is presumably the original message but I have not opened any being wary of what they might contain.

Can someone explain what is going on and what action I can take to stop this.

Example message:

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-10-imp. I am sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. The message is attached below. The remote mail system said: resimta-ch2-08v.sys.comcast.net comcast 81.104.62.42 Comcast block for spam. Please see [click here][1] [69.163.208.112] X-Spam: 1 X-Authority: v=2.1 cv=dY0O3Bne c=1 sm=1 tr=0 p=jGrx389YAAAA:8 a=exIVwKSD1lp69bL7RN8+4A==:117 a=exIVwKSD1lp69bL7RN8+4A==:17 a=NLZqzBF-AAAA:8 a=kj9zAlcOel0A:10 a=lVfXAPphb-UpkDEvOBoA:9 a=CjuIK1q_8ugA:10 a=yAMoNTvwdq4A:10 a=m4C8MYbc_34A:10 a=P6i1zc-du40A:10 a=ae2PIfPkxakA:10 a=kQgTjj_cYY0A:10 a=PMF3SZtlzs8A:10 Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 15:56:22 -0800 From: "Freddie Hyer" Organization: zuobb X-Priority: 3 (Normal) Message-ID: <1074285974.20141201155622@ntlworld.com> To: 1rjl@comcast.net Subject: Will you commitment to affect a monogamist in a cot? MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Post edited by Forum Editor to remove suspect link

The Kestrel 09:41 02 Dec 2014

These emails contain malware, which is downloaded to your computer if you click on the links. The best way to deal with these emails is firstly not to open them at all and secondly right click on the email and select delete message. This ensures the email is deleted without it being opened.

The Kestrel 09:46 02 Dec 2014

On a different point, it is unadvisable to use your email address as a user name, as this opens you up to more junk emails. I recommend that you change your user name to something else.

Secret-Squirrel 09:53 02 Dec 2014

"Can someone explain what is going on............"

John, you're probably already aware that the message you're supposed to have sent is spam. By the way, I wouldn't advise anyone clicking on your second link as AVG blocks it and reports it as an "Exploit Pharmacy Spam Site" threat.

Most of the time the rogues send out spam messages with a made-up return email address. However, sometimes they use a real address that belongs to someone so when the message can't be delivered, you get the notification.

"..........and what action I can take to stop this."

If someone is using your email address in the "From" field of spam emails then there's nothing you can do to stop them. Yours is quite a common problem and should go away in time.

jay65gee 10:31 02 Dec 2014

Hi Kestrel & Secret-Squirrel Many thanks. That at least confirms my feelings. Might just wear out the "delete" button before they stop.

spuds 11:55 02 Dec 2014

Might just wear out the "delete" button before they stop.

You might find that your ISP have some form of spam filter system. Look into your ISP account, and see if that's the case. With the 'festive' season soon to appear, I guess that spam will increase for those not taking the necessary precautions.

Also what as already been suggested, not a very good idea to provide an email address on a open forum.

Secret-Squirrel 12:22 02 Dec 2014

Spuds, John isn't receiving any spam - he's receiving undeliverable notifications for spam messages he didn't send so fiddling with anti-spam settings will not make any difference.

spuds 12:36 02 Dec 2014

Whoops :O)

robintheumpteenth 14:25 02 Dec 2014

It's possible for both scenarios.

Someone with John's address is sending regular spam pretending to be an undeliverable, hoping he will click and run/install the link.

or

John's machine is already infected and is sending regular emails with malware link (hidden from Sent Items). Some of them are being genuinely undelivered and a malware link kept included in the reply notification.

I would recommend a full Ant-Virus and Malwarebytes scan.

click here

It's Free. You can accept the 30 day trial Premium trial if you want. It reverts to Free Version automatically after 30 days.

audeal 14:32 02 Dec 2014

I used to use "Mail Washer" But now use "Pop Peeper" to view all my e-mails when they are still on the server. When you view them you can decide if you want the mail and delete the ones you don't want from the server and download the ones you do. This way no Bad mail will reach your machine. But you must still cautious about it.

If you Google "Mail Washer" and "Pop Peeper" You can download and try them out.

audeal.

lotvic 15:00 02 Dec 2014

Don't click on the click here link next to 'Freddie Hyer' in the OP's opening post,

Google says the site has been hacked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?