Uncooperative desktop icons

Digital 20:30 23 Jul 2006

I use XP with SP2. I want to reposition 2 icons on my desktop. If I left click & drag them across they stay in the new place until next boot, then they're back where they came from! If I right click & drag, then click "Move here", they jump back to where they came from. Any ideas why this is happening please?

ArrGee 20:33 23 Jul 2006

Right click on the desktop, click on 'Arrange Icons By' and uncheck 'Auto Arrange'

woodchip 20:34 23 Jul 2006

Right click your Desktop there are several things you can do with icon's including lock them

Digital 20:43 23 Jul 2006

Thanks ArrGee & woodchip. Auto arrange is unticked, Align to grid is ticked as is Show desktop icons. I've tried playing with these but nothing fixes the problem. The only thing I have just done, which I should have thought of before starting this request, was to delete the shortcut icon & form a new one where I wanted it. I'll see if it stays there when I boot up tomorrow!

SANTOS7 20:59 23 Jul 2006

To lock your desktop icons into place, first arrange it carefully the way you want it to be, then open up the registry editor. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. Right-click in the right pane and select New, DWORD Value name NoSaveSettings and press the Enter key. Right-click on the new NoSaveSettings item and select Modify. Enter 1 in the Value data box. After this, whenever you restart Windows, your settings will return to their current state.

Before any registry tweek backup first,good luck...

Digital 21:11 23 Jul 2006

Thanks Santos7, I'll try that if the new icon misbehaves.

Digital 20:57 24 Jul 2006

I did that Santos7 & it has locked the icons in place. If I want to unlock them, do I put 0 in the Value data box?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?