Uncontrolled modem dialling

par4me 14:53 19 Jun 2003

Our Golf Club has two networked computers.
One is connected to the BT network and is set up with One-tel as the service provider. Before the 2nd PC was networked to it we had no problems. We now get incessant dialling without anyone using Outlook Express. I cannot detect whether anything is happening on Outlook Express when the modem is dialling in this way (other than when I am specifically using Outlook Express)
Any advice would be welcome.

Duffer

AngeTheHippy 16:14 19 Jun 2003

now what I'm gonna suggest is probably a waste of time but.......do you have anti-virus s/w installed?? Some years back, I got a worm virus via e-mail, at a time when I had no anti-virus s/w. The nature of the thing was, every time I powered up, I as presented with the dial-up screen encouraging me to go online. When i DID go online, I tried to go to various a/v sites, Norton, McAfee etc., and as SOON as I typed the addy either on the address bar or even i search engine, the modem dropped the line..the worm KNEW I was looking for a way to kill it off

Just a thought,
AngeTheHippy

Jester2K II 16:48 19 Jun 2003

1) Do you have anti virus?
2) if so, is it up to date?

Also try Ad-aware click here and SpyBot click here to search for anything like diallers.

bambam005 22:16 19 Jun 2003

Get rid of any dial up networking connections that you don't need on both pc's ( or disable ) , then recreate the ones that you do need , taking careful note of any usernames and passwords you will want in the future .

As Jester2K II says run at least Adaware also try click here , these will catch anything suspect .

On Outlook Express also check what your accounts are using as a connection , in the properties of the account/Connection Tab - it may say 'any connection available',if so , change this to the appropriate ISP ( whatever is on your icon on the desktop 'my connection' etc. )

mammak 22:33 19 Jun 2003

par4me, hi mate give spybot a go it,s the best, adware is ok, but dont pick up anthing as much as spybot doe,s you might have a wee nasty dailer in there somwhere, spybot should get rid!! regard,s Mammak

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires