Unconnecting Broadband??

daz246 19:58 21 Aug 2003

I have Broadband installed (or will do) but the phone socket is a good 10m away, therefore I will have to use an extension cable running through the house which will be unplugged when I'm not on the net. Is this a good idea to keep breaking the broadband connection?????

Djohn 20:13 21 Aug 2003

When you get your install pack you will have a "filter" maybe two! plug this into your wall socket and leave it in, connect your phone to the filter outlet, leave that plugged in also.

You will be better with a 10M modem cable rather than a phone extension, then you can go direct from your modem to the [ADSL] socket on the Filter. As for disconnecting the modem lead when not in use, I can't see any problems with that, others will advise if I'm wrong though. j.

graham√ 20:29 21 Aug 2003

Disconnecting the Broadband modem from the phone line when not in use will not cause any problems. Fitting a phone extension near the comp is a neater solution, and very easy to do. Please ask if you need any help doing this.

oglemire 21:53 21 Aug 2003

You may also notice a drop out of your service if you run through a regular extension cable .... especially if your telephone rings even if the broadband has been filtered correctly... you may have to get an ADSL extension lead which enhances the signal by twisting the 2 wire pairs.

siouxah1 22:36 21 Aug 2003

I agree with the above.

I disconnect and recoonect ad hoc with ADSL and have had no problems.

My connection through self wired extension leads to near the computer have caused no problems.

Try it! Modify if you have problems.

Regards Brian j

siouxah1 22:36 21 Aug 2003

Oh dear!!! recoonect. Sounds like an animal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?