UNCONDENSE FILES

novis 12:44 03 Apr 2009

I run windows Vista and have condensed my files without realising that this would continue to condense them as I created them. This has also affected the colour in which file names appear [blue] in Explorer, making them difficult for me to read [I have sight problems].

How can I reverse the process so my files dont condense - and uncondense my condensed files - either all of them or optionally?

Thanks.

A clear, simple explanation would be helpful.

MAJ 13:03 03 Apr 2009

Just let Windows compress the files, it'll do no harm. But I understand why you don't want the blue text. To stop that, open a folder and go to Organise > Search and Folder Options > View tab and scrool down and untick the "Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS Files in Colour" option, then click Apply and OK to exit.

BurrWalnut 14:39 03 Apr 2009

Believe it or not, the compact command will ‘decompress‘ folders/files that have been compressed. This example will decompress all files on drive C: (the capitals are for clarity only but note the spaces in the commands):

Click the Windows Orb (Start), type cmd and press Enter.
Type CD C:\ and press Enter (change to the root folder of drive C).
Type COMPACT /U /S /I /F /Q and press Enter (decompress the whole of drive C).
Finally, close the cmd prompt. It will take quite some time to do the whole drive.

novis 14:46 03 Apr 2009

Thanks for this. I don't have a 'Windows Orb' but once past that it was simple.

As to the previous answer: "open a folder and go to Organise > Search and Folder Options > View tab and scrool down and untick the "Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS Files in Colour" option, then click Apply and OK to exit."

when I opened a folder as instructed there was no "Organise > Search and Folder Options > View tab and scrool down and untick the "Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS Files in Colour"

Clarification might help other users.

MAJ 15:44 03 Apr 2009

Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab, will get you there as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?