UNALLOCATED usb hard drive

MISTER Q 01:05 24 Oct 2006

Heres one for you,
up untill this morning i had 2 hard drives on my xp pro sp2 pc ,master was 160gb and slave is 300gb,bu8t my master developed a corruption in the boot ini, that i could not repair,so i just put in another hard drive as the master and put xp pro on that,the 300gb now will not let me view files on it, when i go into COMPUTER MANAGEMENT i can see both hard drives (C:) HEALTHY (SYSTEM).
and
(F:) HEALTHY (ACTIVE)..But when i try to open (F:) I get "disc not formatted message" and i dont want to loose my data on this drive,can anyone help please?

UncleP 02:27 24 Oct 2006

Have you tried initialising it? (in the Disk Management window).

MISTER Q 12:40 24 Oct 2006

UncleP,,Have you tried initialising it? (in the Disk Management window).
answer..yes but as stated in original post "F:) HEALTHY (ACTIVE)..But when i try to open (F:) I get "disc not formatted message" and i dont want to loose my data on this drive

LimestoneRock 12:45 24 Oct 2006

Did you have an operating system on (F) drive? If not, it is not going to work.

LimestoneRock 13:07 24 Oct 2006

Ignore my comments, sorry - I misread your post.

dan11 13:25 24 Oct 2006

Try this click here

UncleP 23:04 24 Oct 2006

Sorry, I had not seen your earlier thread, but I should have realised from the Computer Management entry that the F: disk had been effectively initialised.

Your problem sounds similar to one I had last year with a HD taken from an old computer and mounted in an external USB2 enclosure. Even after initialising and assigning a new drive letter, which gave a similar entry to yours in the Disk Management window, I could not access the files on the disk. I noticed that the file system was recorded as 'RAW' rather than 'FAT32' and later found that this indicated that the MBR or some other significant part of the disk had been corrupted.

In the end I managed to retrieve the files I needed using a good file recovery utility. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, as it was a tad expensive and there are cheaper variants around. But it's important that it doesn't write to the faulty disk, which can make the chances of successful recovery much smaller. Ideally, the utility should copy the sector data to a another working HD and the recovery analysis performed on that. Mind you, I only had 20Gb of files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires