UNABLE TO USE OLD DRIVE AS EXTERNAL DRIVE

bpzoom 16:51 25 Feb 2011
Answered

Bought a new machine with Windows 7. I tried to use an old 40gb IDE disk for backup (no system files just data), using a SAFECOM external box which I used successfully on the old XP machine as an external backup drive. My new system won't look at it. SAFECOM appear not to be available on their mail or telephone numbers. Do these external boxes require drivers? If so I am snookered if SAFECOM no longer function. I fully expected to have continuous use on the W7 system.

rawprawn 17:06 25 Feb 2011

Have you changed the setting to Slave?
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 25 Feb 2011

To make rawprwan's post clearer

any IDE drive in an external usb caddy needs to be set as MASTER on its jumpers before placing in the caddy.

bpzoom 17:38 25 Feb 2011

Thank you both. It was set as master in the first place, and now I have changed it to slave. Both have the same result. There is audible "recognition" of something being attached via USB, but no signs of the drive being recognised.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 25 Feb 2011

Reset it to master

reconnect via USB

Look in disk management to see if it is there

bpzoom 18:36 25 Feb 2011

Done that, no signs in Device Manager.

woodchip 19:02 25 Feb 2011

As it got a Mains Adapter to power the Caddy, As if its a three and half inch IDE drive it will not work without one. And it should be set to Master for it to work. You could al;so try a different data cable

woodchip 19:02 25 Feb 2011

As it got a Mains Adapter to power the Caddy, As if its a three and half inch IDE drive it will not work without one. And it should be set to Master for it to work. You could also try a different data cable

bpzoom 19:10 25 Feb 2011

Yes it has got a Mains Adaptor and it is a 3.5" IDE drive. I have just got the drive whirring, by taking the cables in and out, but it only spins for about 3 seconds and dies. Tried a different UBS cable, no difference Maybe the IDE drive is knackered? I will try another IDE 40gb spare drive and see what happens.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 25 Feb 2011

disk management not Device Manager

bpzoom 19:45 25 Feb 2011

Hope this does not appear twice. I have tried another spare drive, this time an ATA 40gb and at once it began to install the device drive software. It seemed to take a long time but eventually said it was loaded successfully. I looked in Device manager and it is present without any yellow q marks. The properties says it is working OK.However there is no sign of a device under Windwows Explorer or My Computer.The disk is not spinning. Sorry I don't know what disk management is. Where do I find that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?