Unable to use genuing Win 8.1 product key

BRYNIT 15:10 16 Feb 2015
Answered

Due to a failed hard drive with win 7 a relative decided to upgrade and purchased a Win 8.1 pro product key from Amazon. Product Key and copy of Windows arrived.

I installed Windows 8.1 pro onto a new hard drive. Windows 8.1 Pro works without any problems but when I try to inset the product key I get the message "this product key didn't work, please check and try again, or try another key". It didn't matter how many time I tried it didn't work and contacted seller who supplied another key, this had the same problem so the seller refunded the amount paid.

Before purchasing another product key has anyone any suggestions on what could be causing this problem and how to get Windows 8.1 pro to accept the product key? or would I be able to activate Windows 8.1 buy calling the support line.

onthelimit1 15:25 16 Feb 2015

It sounds as though the keys are counterfeit - I've bought genuine W8 disks and keys and never had a problem activating. You could try the support line - at least they should/could/might tell if the keys are dodgy. Do you get the option to try phone activation when you insert the key? If so, the system is automated and only takes a few minutes

Jollyjohn 16:08 16 Feb 2015
Answer

Try the phone activation route - if you use a mobile the code can be sent as a text message to you.

bumpkin 17:11 16 Feb 2015

Try the phone option as suggested, I have had keys rejected on line but fine on the phone.

BRYNIT 17:53 16 Feb 2015

Thank you for your replies.

onthelimit1, the key was accepted when I tried to download Windows from Microsoft.

On further investigation I found an error code I also noticed the product key was showing on the computer but would not activate this I hadn't noticed before. On searching the error code I found most people were able to activate Windows via the phone.

As a refund has been issued I have re contacted the seller as I do not want to try and activate something that may have been resold. As soon as I've acquired a key and able to activate Win 8 I will let you know the outcome.

BRYNIT 20:12 17 Feb 2015

Update.

Before attempting to activate windows 8.1 via telephone I emailed the seller to see if this was acceptable and if it worked we could discus how to pay for the OS just in case he/she had resold the number.

The reply was "I will not be reselling the keys which I sent you so you can try to activate via the automated telephone feature. If it works, then there is no need to send me any money, thanks for the offer though".

Windows 8.1 has now been activated via automated telephone feature ;)

I just wander how much these people actually pay for the OS product keys.

bumpkin 20:35 17 Feb 2015

So you had a valid key, then got a refund, then activated by phone and the seller no longer wanted the original payment. If that is the case then I am very surprised but he cannot resell the key anyway once you have activated it.

bumpkin 20:45 17 Feb 2015

I don't know who you bought it from but when I have had problems I have found that some sellers will just give a refund rather than argue the point. Looks like you got lucky!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?