unable to use the free space on d drive

billycn1 17:35 13 Jan 2008

Hi I was wondering if any one can help me here I am trying to use the free space on my d/drive which has 32gig unused. My c/drive is almost full but I cant seem to transfer any files to the d/drive I am using vista home premium and my laptop is an Acer Aspire 5633 would appreciate any help whats so ever

Gongoozler 18:02 13 Jan 2008

I can't be certain, but I think the D drive is probably a protected partition containing your recovery data. If you have almost filled the C drive, then I strongly recommend that you transfer as much as possible, either 2 copies (for security in case one of them fails) to CD or DVD, or you get a USB external hard drive. In my experience an almost full hard drive will lead to problems, possibly even to loss of data.

Quiller. 18:25 13 Jan 2008

Can't you cut and paste to the D drive? This will take off the data on the C drive and start to fill the D drive.

You could try and expand the C drive with Vista's Shrink and Extend Volume facilities.

This will take some free space off your D drive and extend it to your C drive.

Right click my computer / manage / disk management.

Right click the C drive and select extend volume. See how much it will allow you to take off the D drive. Then follow the wizard.

Quiller. 18:27 13 Jan 2008

Also download and run this free program called CCleaner.click here This will clean up all the tempory files for you.

See if it gives you much extra space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?