Unable to use DVD Disk

Scousefire 16:13 14 May 2009

Hi Guys...

This is my first post to this forum, so forgive my PC ignorance!
I have never been able to play DVDs on my PC (Windows XP) and this has never bothered me, however I have been sent a CD with hi-quality images on, but it is a DVD disk which my PC doesnt recognise.
Is there anything I can download to allow it?

Thanks in advance

BT 16:58 14 May 2009

Most importantly, is your drive a CD or a DVD drive? If its only a CD drive it won't read DVD discs. If its a DVD drive it should read DVD and CD discs.

john bunyan 17:01 14 May 2009

Assuming you have a DVD rom drive at least, and assuming this is, say, drive D. If you go to Start, My computer,then right click on D (or the letter of your DVD drive, then left click on explore, you should be able to copy files to a folder on your Hard drive - suggest you create one first in "My Pictures" called, say, "Imports from DVD1". I assume you have some form of photo editing software?

Scousefire 17:10 14 May 2009

I'm afraid I suspect I dont actually have a DVD drive? If this is the case, are they easily obtainable and easy to install?

BT 17:15 14 May 2009

Drives are fairly cheap and easy to install, a couple of screws and a couple of cables to plug in.

See here for some idea of whats available

click here

john bunyan 17:44 14 May 2009

Are we talking of a desktop or laptop? How have you installed programmes up to now?

oldbeefer2 19:46 14 May 2009

If you have (or install) a DVD drive and want to play DVDs, you will need software to do it; there are loads of freebies eg, click here

Scousefire 19:57 14 May 2009

Thanks for the pointers guys, much appreciated. John, it's a desktop mate, The only programmes I have installed up to now are the easy one's which you save and run and then restart - as I say, my PC knowledge could fit on the back of a stamp!

john bunyan 21:29 14 May 2009

We all started the same! The desktop - does it have any slots in the front? The programmes - did they come on DVD's or as downloads, or were they supplied on the PC hard drive? Let's take it one step at a time. Do you know the PC's model name?

tullie 19:16 21 May 2009

Was this resolved?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?