Unable to update Adaware!

gazmix 13:05 14 Sep 2007

Hi
I recently posted about having to Uninstall my Adaware se due to it crashing midway through a scan. I then uninstalled it & couldn't find a download for the 'se' version.

I found a download for the se veversion at Snapfiles.com & downloaded it.
I went to do the web update & after it got to 100%, a box with a red cross popped up saying 'New definitions file update could not be read, please update again'! i've tryed to update 5 times & the same result each time.

This happened last time before i uninstalled.
At the top where it says 'Initialization Status', it says 'Definition Files loaded SE1R47 24,05.2005.

Can anyone advise me please, i don't want version 7.
Gaz

dewskit 13:28 14 Sep 2007

Try going to
click here
Click on Security Centre
Click on Ad-Aware and select Ad-aware 2007 Free
Download then run updates.
Latest update is showing at 10/09

Hope this helps

A-Nonymous 13:29 14 Sep 2007

gazmix wrote:
"I went to do the web update & after it got to 100%, a box with a red cross popped up saying 'New definitions file update could not be read, please update again'! i've tryed to update 5 times & the same result each time."

Looks like a problem with the file, try a different download site.

gazmix 14:29 14 Sep 2007

Dewskit, i don't want version 7, i want the smaller SE version!

A-Nonymous
I had SE for ages on my pc & all of a sudden, it stopped working, it froze & wouldn't update!
I uninstalled it & installed it again, but the same is happening.
If it were a dodgy download, how come the same happened with my original version that i'd had on my pc for ages??
I can't find another site with a SE download. Does anyone know of one?
When reinstalling it, does it remember my previous tests?, it seems to on this download..

gazmix 14:31 14 Sep 2007

i'm also getting the same box with a red circle & white cross saying i'm low on virtual memory!! & windows is increasing it!

The same box as i get saying that the detection download can't be read, try again!

Its deffinately something up with the pc, i'm sure

stylehurst 15:10 14 Sep 2007

I have had the same problem on odd ocasions, & solved it as follows:
Go to the Adaware site, and locate the definitions files, they are listed in date order with, if my memory is correct the latest at the top, on the right hand side of the page.
Download the latest (it is in zip format) to your PC & unzip it to the adaware directory (check the location of your existing .defs file first) It will overwrite your existing .defs file, & you are in business.

gazmix 15:25 14 Sep 2007

I think i know what the issue is, i'm going to resolve this thread & start another one!!, i still need help :)

bluto1 20:05 14 Sep 2007

Last update was 0021 dated 11/09.

bluto1 20:07 14 Sep 2007

Sorry gazmix, my last was for AdAware 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone