unable to uninstall avast

henry2 11:41 27 Jun 2008

hi guys,
I am having a bit of a problem uninstalling avast from my pc.I was first registering it but when i click on the registration it takes me to the site and then my browser closes(firefox).i try to uninstall but it does not.when the uninstall bar comes up then it closes by itself.
It happens with only avast as am able to uninstall other programs and also able to browse.what could be the problem and how do i resolve it.Thanks

Clapton is God 11:51 27 Jun 2008

There's an uninstall tool available at the Avast website.

Use that.

Technotiger 12:05 27 Jun 2008

If the Avast website does not work, try click here

here's link to their own click here

henry2 12:29 27 Jun 2008

thanks guys am downloading revo to try.But what could make a program unable to uninstall?
All the same am about to try the revo.

birdface 13:08 27 Jun 2008

Maybe some part of it was still in use.Did you not use the removal tool that Adman 2 provided.With Revo you may have to install Avast again to be able to uninstall it completely.

revo seems to leave as many registry values and windows unistaller with security programs, as they are usually protected files anyway. i find it's best to use the manufactures dedicated removal tool.

ryde001 15:14 27 Jun 2008

hi im new to this site but type in google (ccleaner download) then run that program it should clean up your computer speed up your computer and unistall anything you want to unistall best of all its free

brundle 15:19 27 Jun 2008

CCleaner is excellent but the uninstaller element is no different to the standard one in Add/Remove Programs, or a program's Uninstall link.

mfletch 15:27 27 Jun 2008

Part of Avast is still running,

Remove Avast in safe mode

Reboot into SAFE MODE

1/Click Start and then click Turn Off Computer.
2/In the Turn Off Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.
3/As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8 repeatedly.
4/Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
5/If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.
Note: If Windows launches before you can choose a safe mode, restart your computer and try again
PS/ Sometimes it maybe the F5 key

brundle 15:35 27 Jun 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?