unable to type in regedit and DOS prompt

TBH1 23:56 08 Jan 2006

A friend of mine has a very similar problem to the guy in this thread click here

It looks a though he has had some type of virus, since cleaned up but has left his desktop background with a spash-screen type of thing advising him he needs to run an adware scan ( or something similar) - -when he starts his PC this appears and worries him so much he switches it off !!
I have found no viruses/ trojans - but am unable to change the desktop background. When attempting the fixx in the link above, I cannot type anything in the "open" box after selecting start, run - - the place where you type "regedit". If I go into a DOS prompt, I am unable to type anything there either. Trying to boot in SAFE mode is not possible, F2 on boot does nothing - and I know this is the way its done on this particular PC.

Any help appreciated - - though I'm not being rude if I do not respond right-away as I have to go to work soon.

TBH1 00:02 09 Jan 2006

sorry, forgot to mention :-
System is windows XP Pro with all patches

VoG II 07:45 09 Jan 2006
  TBH1 07:57 09 Jan 2006

VoG - thanks for this mate, will go and give it a go when I get home - - though I may stumble at the 1st hurdle, or maybe 2nd or 3rd, as I have problems getting into 'safe' mode.

mgmcc 08:40 09 Jan 2006

<<< as I have problems getting into 'safe' mode >>>

Launch MSCONFIG by running its .exe file from:

C:\Windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

and select the "Boot.ini" tab. Tick the box for /SAFEBOOT click OK and reboot. It should boot into Safe Mode.

Cuddles 16:57 09 Jan 2006
  TBH1 22:10 09 Jan 2006

OK - have to admit to being a tee doubleu a tee - - the reason I couldn't type anything in at the run command or the DOS window was the keyboard had somehow got disconnected !!!!

I have solved the problem using some of the information posted in the original link - I deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop.

If I have wasted anyone's time, let me apologise - and thanks to all who had input here - - -just going to hang my head in shame.

VoG II 22:26 09 Jan 2006

Stand in the corner for 15 minutes and repeat

'I will plug in a keyboard'

100 times...

TBH1 22:31 09 Jan 2006

VoG - 100 times at least mate - - -such a fool !!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone