unable to turn off computer

steveS42 18:59 17 Jan 2005

I am unable to turn my computer off. I click on start,then turn off computer,then turn off computer again and then a message comes up saying mcafee virus scan is updating in the background,do not try to turn off or restart your computer until this is finished. This has been going on for 3 days now,can anyone help.

pj123 19:08 17 Jan 2005

I assume you don't mean it is taking 3 days to switch your computer off.

I think I would dump mcafee and get AVG free and also Adaware, Spybot and Spywareblaster.

parten 19:09 17 Jan 2005

For a quick solution hold in the start button on your Computer for a few seconds that will turn off the computer. It must be the mcafee software thats upsetting the machine. If you can try uninstalling and reinstalling. Not saying it will work but.......

Parten

JonnyTub 19:15 17 Jan 2005

Why not see if there are any options in the configuration settings to disable this kind of behaviour, better still, turn off auto updating all together and everytime you switch on make sure you update before you go online... just my humble suggestion

steveS42 19:38 17 Jan 2005

thanks everyone,problem solved. My brother came up with the solution. On keyboard press alt+ctrl+del,task manager pops up,click on mcafee virus scan and then click on end task,job done.
cheers.

PA28 19:43 17 Jan 2005

Except that it's very likely to happen again. Trust the words above - disable auto update or make sure (through MSCONFIG and/or Mcafee program options) that Mcafee does what you want to do when you want to do it - not the other way around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?