unable to system restore to previous point

jackdouglas7 18:13 17 May 2009

I have an almost identical problem to that of Unwanted Advertising Pages by soyabean at the start of the year.
My main problem is that Im unable to restore my PC to a previous point even in safe mode. When I press the next tab it just doesnt do anything. Until I restore my pc Im not able to start the cleaning scans. Im also unable to disc check or defrag.
Many thanks
J
Still on windows XP

john bunyan 18:16 17 May 2009

can you run Malawarebites or Superantispyware?Do you have an"acronis" type back up image on another drive?

jackdouglas7 19:13 17 May 2009

no I dont have these and im unable to get onto the net. I have ad-aware aniversary and avg which I will run again insafe mode.Is there anyway I can restore to a previous date in safe mode ?

john bunyan 19:46 17 May 2009

Not sure if it would work, but if you had a friend who could download the above mal ware ,put them on CD, maybe you could instal them from CD. Others more knowing may suggest other means. Do you have any back up other than system restore? Otherwise you may have to save your data to an external drive or DVD's and do a clean re install!

john bunyan 19:48 17 May 2009

Also see here - Superantispyware is mentioned re system restore.
click here

bobbybluenose 19:52 17 May 2009

i do not know if it will help but try turning off your firewall before you do a restore

jackdouglas7 20:24 17 May 2009

Im still unable to down load the super anti, in safe mode,i get onto the site then suddenly it looses net work connection. Almost as if its protecting itself. Could this be the work of spyware ? I am re running adaware in safe mode then ill turn off the firewall and try to do a system restore.
It also wont let me run spy doc or do any disc or defrag checks.

jackdouglas7 23:18 17 May 2009

I have managed to run spybot on a couple of filres and it is showing Win32.TDSS.rtk which I believe is a nasty little bug.

phono 23:29 17 May 2009

All of the symptoms you describe point to a malware or virus infection of some description, john bunyan has recommended two particular pieces of software which will most likely help, as he says, get a friend to download them for you.

I would personally not advocate turning off your firewall, it should have no bearing on the ability to run the programs you specify and your inability to access the Internet is more likely to be caused by the malware infecting your system.

birdface 23:43 17 May 2009

Looks like you have got a right nastie on board.Malwarebytes or superantispyware might get rid of it if you can get someone to download them for you.Another one I have used is this. click here
Its a pay for program and you get a 30 day trial but it will remove anything that it finds.

birdface 23:49 17 May 2009

Googled.

click here=

Its going to take a bit of shifting.Can you get into your e-mail account.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?