Unable to switch off system restore

Garb 08:40 01 Nov 2004

Windows XP Pro. AVG anti virus has detected a virus and I am unable to switch off system restore to get rid of it. Get a message when I click on the system restore tab in "system" saying "an exception has occured whilst trying to run a .dll file. Is this a clever virus doing this and how can I now remove it?. AVG doesn't want to run in safe mode.

rawprawn 10:00 01 Nov 2004

Can you turn System restore off in safe mode ?

Garb 10:29 01 Nov 2004

No, can't run system restore in safe mode and can't run AVG in safe mode either. PC showing no signs yet of a virus but it has been detected and AVG does nothing with it or does not give me the option to transfer it to the virus vault.

Smegs 10:40 01 Nov 2004

What VIRUS is it??

iambeavis 11:29 01 Nov 2004

Try this to turn off system restore - Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services then double click system restore service and change the startup type to disabled.

Garb 13:16 01 Nov 2004

Many thanks to iambeavis. Turned system restore to disabled in Admin tools, then had control over it again in control panel/system. AVG now reports all drives clear of virus after I deleted the suspect downloaded zip file which supposedly contained the virus "Downloader. Cray.A"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?