Unable to Stop USB

BPD 17:43 21 Jun 2007

My XP is apparently unable to safely stop my USB Memory Sticks, generating the usual message when a file is still open:
The device 'Generic Volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later.
I have even inserted the memory stick and before opening any file on the stick, I have attempted to stop the device.
I have tried 2 different memory sticks which both work on other systems.
However I do not appear to suffer from any side effects if I remove the stick (either to the stick data or the system).
I cannot recall doing anything with the USB ports around the time of the failure. I have a HP Printer plugged in permanently and an MP3 player from time to time.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:23 21 Jun 2007

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.

Retry sticks.

HCOOH 20:26 21 Jun 2007

You may need to change the settings to "optimise for performance". Insert stick and right click. Choose properties and then hardware, you get a list of drives. Select your stick and left click on properties. Look in policies and select the optimise for performance option.

BPD 09:33 25 Jun 2007

Thanks for your help.
But neither of these suggestions made any difference.

Anybody have any othe suggestions?

ventanas 09:37 25 Jun 2007

No, but I used to get this quite often when I used XP. I usually found that if I rebooted the problem would go away.

woodchip 10:08 25 Jun 2007

when you click close, you may have two things you can click to stop it. try both

exdragon 10:47 25 Jun 2007

Are you sure you've closed whatever you may have been using fron the memory stick? I've been caught out with this message a few times by having, for example, a Word doc or whatever minimised without noticing it.

Sorry if this is an obvious question!

exdragon 10:49 25 Jun 2007

Huh, just read your post properly - the only times I get this message are when something is open, so could you not close the offending item, or move it to the hard drive, before removing the stick?

Seth Haniel 11:05 25 Jun 2007

if there are media files -programs like Windows media player list them in their synchronise list etc - so if you have media player or sometimes just windows explorer open it is indexing the stick ie using it -

if you run ccleaner to get rid of temp files it may then let you remove safely

Andy1991 18:35 25 Jun 2007

i find normally that a simple log off and log on does the trick.

jarani 23:24 25 Jun 2007

just be careful to back up the stick files if you follow Andy's suggestion - logging off with the stick in may disturb the content - jarani

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?