unable to start XP pc after latest MS updates

Digital 16:56 24 Jun 2009

Been on holiday so only just installed 9th June MS updates to XP SP3. Now pc won't start, gets as far as the blank screen with arrow pointer then a message flashes up very quickly saying insufficient virtual memory. I can't get it to start in Safe mode, it won't respond to F8. Just as well I've got this old laptop! Anyone got any ideas/advice please?

Graphicool1 17:05 24 Jun 2009

Put your WinXP disk in and boot on that.

Digital 18:37 24 Jun 2009

Thanks Graphicool1 but I don't have an XP disk, 'tis an upgrade from 98SE. Anyway a couple of hours later it started up OK! Could be the CPU was overheating, it's a bit warm here in Wales today - for a change!

Graphicool1 13:24 25 Jun 2009

Glad to hear your PC is up and running again, whaterver the reason it wasn't. May I suggest - if you haven't done it already - back up all your important file. Just in case.

Digital 14:18 25 Jun 2009

That's good advice for everyone! I periodically clone my HDD to a second drive so I only need to change the jumpers on the second drive & boot from it. It worked the only time I needed to do so, it saved hours of reinstallation.

Terminus90 22:30 25 Jun 2009

try cleaning up the inside of your pc, it may be dust that is causing it to overheat.

Digital 19:26 26 Jun 2009

Thanks Terminus90, good idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?