unable to start XP Home in normal mode

ahaze2005 21:05 05 Jun 2006

Hi I hope someone can help. About 2 weeks ago my pc stopped booting in normal mode. I can boot in safe mode with networking. However last known good configuration does not work nor does system restore. My event manager says that some of my boot files are not found. Help!!!

VoG II 21:07 05 Jun 2006

Does it say which files ase missing? If SYSTEM then click here

ahaze2005 09:40 07 Jun 2006

Mesages are appearing on a blue screen but it disappears too fast for me to read them.

How do I get to read them?

Regards

Alan

bigdan676 10:14 07 Jun 2006

Hi alan
i had the same problem with my laptop. when i tried to boot it said system files were missing, all i did was reinstall windows from the CD.

hope this helps
Dan

ahaze2005 10:20 07 Jun 2006

But doesn't reinstall windows get rid of all your existing data files and programs?

Regards
Alan

Taff™ 13:05 07 Jun 2006

A Repair Install shouldn`t lose your data click here

ahaze2005 12:35 13 Jun 2006

Looking back over the last couple of months I seem to be getting 3 types of error:

Service Control mgr - the following boot start or system start failled to load Aavmker, Amdk7 Fips

DCOM got error "%1084" attempting to start

In May I got Ntfs file system stucture is corrupt and unuseable

Sadly most of this means little to me - any ideas what I need to do - is it a windows reinstall??

Diodorus Siculus 12:47 13 Jun 2006

As Taff™ suggests, a repair install will sort it out for you as long as you have the XP CD.

If you have a recovery disk, then post back with details.

ahaze2005 13:12 14 Jun 2006

Last night I carried a XP installation repair which after a few hiccups seems to have resolved the problem. I don't seem to have lost any files.

Hopefully that is now the end of the problem for now. I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond and your useful suggestions. This is the first time I have attempted anything like this and I appreciate your support :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?