Unable to set file association for Word 2003

squibber 09:08 16 Aug 2010

Hi

I am unable to set the file association for Word 2003 successfully. On clicking Winword in Program files\Office11 Word is not selected as an option for file association. I can select other applications but not Word.

I can open word files from Word but not as email attachments or in Windows Explorer.

I am running Vista Home Premium with Office 2003.

Any prior experience of or advice regarding this problem would be appreciated.

Woolwell 10:37 16 Aug 2010

Try this - Start - Default programs - click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" - wait - scroll down to all that start doc and dot and make sure that Word is default program If not make Word the default program.

squibber 14:11 16 Aug 2010

Thanks for a quick reply but the problem is the same - the default program is Wordpad and although other options will select using "Change Program" Winword fails to do so. I have also tried right clicking on a Word file and "open with".

Woolwell 15:33 16 Aug 2010

The default program should be Microsoft Office Word not Wordpad.

squibber 15:47 16 Aug 2010

I realise that but seem unable to change in from Wordpad.

Woolwell 15:51 16 Aug 2010

Try a repair of office.

squibber 17:39 16 Aug 2010

Thanks for the suggestions. I had done several repairs and re-installs of Office.

I realised this afternoon that the problem is the Word application file name "Winword" which is loading Wordpad rather Word. I changed the filename and bingo all works OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?