Unable To See USB 2.0 Drive

AubreyS 21:24 18 Jan 2006

Hello All.

I have an old Tiny P3 750 PC runnning Windows XP Pro with SP2. I use it as a second PC. It has a PCI USB 2 card with 4 ports installed and 2 USB 1 ports.

I have an external USB 2.0 drive and no matter what port I plug it into, the drive cannot be seen. I use the external drive on other PC's and all is fine there.

Any idea's out there?
Thanks.

ade.h 22:12 18 Jan 2006

Hi Aubrey. Is that a pen drive or a hard-drive? Try plugging it into one of the USB1 ports - I know it will be much slower and XP will nag you about it, but it would show whether it is just the USB2 card that is not working. And would the USB2 ports recognise a USB mouse if you swapped it over?

ade.h 22:14 18 Jan 2006

I'm guessing from your second paragraph that you might have tried to USB1 ports - I can't be sure. Could you confirm either way?

AubreyS 22:20 18 Jan 2006

Hi ade.h
As I said, I have tried it in ALL of the ports. Its a Maxtor 30Gb drive in a caddy.

Thanks for the reply.

ade.h 22:25 18 Jan 2006

Hmmm, then I'm a bit stumped! It's never straightforward is it?!

What about other devices, such as the mouse? Anything that isn't any kind of drive.

ade.h 22:27 18 Jan 2006

You've probably thought of this already, but have you checked the USB controllers in Dev Manager for any warnings or conflicts? I suspect there might not be anything obviously wrong there though.

AubreyS 22:56 18 Jan 2006

Yes,checking device manager was one of the first things that I did and as you say, there were no conflicts in there. Thanks again for the reply. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

I'll look again here tomorrow for any replies. Meanwhile a nice Jameson's whiskey could ease the problem for now ;)

woodchip 23:02 18 Jan 2006

Check this out to see if it shows. Right Click on "My Computer" choose Manage\Disk Management

AubreyS 00:37 19 Jan 2006

Already done that Woodchip, also looked at it Partition Magic.

Totally-braindead 00:59 19 Jan 2006

Appologies if you've tried this too, you say you've checked and theres no exxclamation marks under the USB in device manager, but have you checked that there is a mention of enhanced somewhere in there if not the ports are working at USB 1 speeds not USB 2. Also if this is an external hard drive, I found I had to install the driver disk when I used it on my PC but strangely enough when I tried it on a friends, who hadn't even updated his windows it didn't need the disk at all. I thought that was odd.

AubreyS 15:48 19 Jan 2006

Yes, it does say enhanced so I know that it is seeing the USB 2.0 ports ok. The driver disk is only for Windows 98 and below. Like you, I'm totally braindead over this.

I'll leave this posting until this evening when I shall close it.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache