Unable to Restore

Farleyjim 19:45 21 Nov 2005

Having had problems with Outlook Express, I decided that the best course of action was to restore my computer(Windows XP Home. However, not matter how far I go back in choosing restore points my computer refuses to restore. I have tried at least 10 restore points from the last two months. Any ideas?

CLONNEN 20:05 21 Nov 2005

System Restore can't go back to old restore points. It overwrites old restore points with newer more recent restore points.

I can usually go back about 10 restore points maximum.

Trying to go back 2 months is just way beyond System Restore's limited range.

Farleyjim 20:11 21 Nov 2005

Thanks,Clonnen, but I cannot even restore back to the latest restore point, which was just last week.

VoG II 20:12 21 Nov 2005

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense.

TOPCAT® 20:33 21 Nov 2005

Internet Explorer components.

First method: Start/Run and type sfc /scannow and click OK. (Note space after sfc) Reboot after System File Checker completes.

Second method: Fom Start menu, select Search/All files and folders. Select 'More Advanced Options' and select the 'Search Hidden Files and Folders' option. Make sure 'Search System Folders' and 'Search Subfolders' are also checked. Type: ie.inf in window, select C: drive and click Search button.

Right click the ie.inf file and click install on the context menu. Reboot after file copy process is complete. Hope it works OK for you! TC.

JPJBozo 20:43 21 Nov 2005

Have you tried turning off antivirus and firewall and then trying restore. Remember to shutdown internet before shutting them down tho. It worked when I had problem recently.

woodchip 20:48 21 Nov 2005

If Restore Does not work you can do nothing with the Lod Restore points. Only thing you can now do is turn Restore Off, then restart it. IT will then create a new restore point. but all the Old will be gone for good leaving you with more disc space. You should create a Image when it's working with Ghost or Acronis True Image. So you can fix problems. But you should do Incremental backups of files docs pics as you need to

Ray5776 21:01 21 Nov 2005

you must have created a "back up " file and it must be somewhere unless you have deleted it. If you can find it write down the path. When you try the restore enter the path to the back up file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?