Unable to rename files

Icky 14:14 17 Aug 2003

Hello everyone,

Hope you can help me.
Pentium 4 computer, Windows XP Home SP1.

All my files open correctly but I am unable to rename them.
If I click on file, rename, and then type the new name and press enter I get the message " If you change a file extension, the file may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"
If I click on yes the name changes and so does the icon. If I then try to open the file I get the message "Windows cannot open this file: To open this file Windows needs to know what file created it etc."
I click on 'Select a program from a list' choose the program I want to open it with and it opens OK but the 'always open with this program is greyed out so I can't select that.
This happens to all my files.
I have tried System Restore -- no luck.

Thanks for any advice.

krypt1c 14:25 17 Aug 2003

The answer is in the warning you get 'If you change a file extension, the file may becomr unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?' - Changing the extension of a file doesn't change the file format. eg. If you have file1.doc and rename it to file2.mp3 it's still a .doc file.
It won't open in word because the extension is mp3, and it's not an mp3 file. If you want to rename files you should only change the part in front of the extension eg file1.doc to file2.doc

Icky 14:40 17 Aug 2003

Thanks krypt1c.

Yes that worked.
Is there a way to display the file without the extension showing.
This is a new computer and I think I used to be able to just click rename and rename the file on my old computer?

Thanks for your help.

Peverelli 14:45 17 Aug 2003

Open up a folder, click on Tools > Folder Options and then the View tab. Scroll down about half way and tick 'Hide extensions for known file types'.

Icky 14:48 17 Aug 2003

Thanks krypt1c and Peverelli.

All is OK now.

Peverelli 14:54 17 Aug 2003

We don't hang about ;O)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache