Unable to reinstall xp pro

Jomi 12:03 13 Jan 2007

During the set up process I get a message saying that setup was unable to copy a file and 'press return to retry'. When I press return, sometimes the file copies, sometimes I have to press escape to get past that point. This happens about half a dozen times at different stages during setup. I have re-run setup several times and each time the files which windows can't copy are different.
Eventually I get to the windows welcome screen which says setup will complete in approx 39 minutes. After a few minutes I get a message which says windows has been shut down to prevent damage to my computer, so I start again with the same result.

Can anyone give me a clue about what to try next please?

thank you,

John

xp pro is NOT an oem version.

surfmonkey #:@}© 12:22 13 Jan 2007

ist option is your install disc clean get a smove cloth and give it a coulpe of wipe
dirty install iscs is one of the magor faults in win xp install crashes

The 12th Man 12:23 13 Jan 2007

....It could be the CD. Try cleaning it or having it repaired if it is scratched. Someone like SCRATCHBUSTERS can do it for a couple of quid. If it is not the cd (you can test this by trying to install XP pro on another machine or installing another copy of Windows onto yours), it might be that your cd drive is faulty (If you cd drive has been playing up recently, then this is likely). It could also be a fualty hard drive. If you are re-installing Windows because you were getting loads of crashes and errors and the computer was frezing up then a new hard drive may be needed.
Less likely causes are memory and Motherboard issues. The list does go on, but I won't for the moment.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

The 12th Man 12:24 13 Jan 2007

I was still typing!

The 12th Man 12:26 13 Jan 2007

For spelling your name wrong.
I will not spell surfmonkey #:@}© wrong again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?