Unable to receive emails

Hamish I 16:52 12 Nov 2005

For about the last week I have been able to receive emails. I use Outlook Express and my ISP is Globalnet. I have twice been through all the connections. username, password and so on with the Global technical staff and this has not solved the problem. I am able to use the internet for other purposes. For anyone who is very IT-literate (unlike me), the error message is :
"Your password was rejected. Server response - ERR arguments mismatch. Port: 110. Secure (SSL)No Server Error: Ox 800CCC90 Error Number Ox800 CCC92".
I would be most grateful for any assistance from anyone.

PaulB2005 16:55 12 Nov 2005

All i can find is that either

a) your password is incorrect

or

b) you are using Secure Password Authentication when you shouldn't be or you're not using Secure Password Authentication when you should...

keewaa 17:03 12 Nov 2005

Usually it is a setting in the accounts set up ... as PaulB mentioned another 2 to check.

But if you are sure everything is correct : Have you deleted the account in OE and set it up again ... if not note all settings before doing this.

Another possible cause is a corruted TCP/IP stack. If you run Windows XP, the process is:

Click Start
Run
Then type in Command
In the screen which appears, type in netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Another possible cause is a corrupted OE ... remove it and reinstall it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:38 12 Nov 2005

Outlook Express and Internet Explorer share many files. Perform a repair of Internet Explorer. From Control Panel select Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer and highlight it. Click on the Add/Remove button. When the IE Tools menu comes up, select Repair. Click OK.

Also, you can get to the IE Tools menu by clicking Start > Run and type

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance

If still no joy, uninstall and reinstall Outlook Express.

keewaa 18:03 12 Nov 2005

I think they are in add / remove windows components.

Can I also just ask ... Are IE and OE stored as cab files (or something else) within XP, so that if I remove them, I can easily re-install them without the need of a CD or anything, as they are stored as cab files ?

Das Boot 18:49 12 Nov 2005

I have this problem with Tiscali if I log on to their site and check email then try to download it I get the same message the server rejects the password. hope this helps

keewaa 18:57 12 Nov 2005

If it does this on the website then it definitely means either the password or username is wrong .... are you using caps when it should be lower ... even for the first letter?

or the tiscali site itself is down temporarily.

Das Boot 19:41 12 Nov 2005

No the password is OK It's the server that won't accept two logins with the same password and user name. if I log off and leave the site OE will then download the emails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?