Unable to reboot after recovery

Gray3 00:49 26 Mar 2007

I think a virus infected my daughters pc whilst she was on msn. I tried all the normal scans with norton, spy-bot and ad-aware but nothing was found. I tried System Restore but every time it comes back saying it could not restore and that no changes could be made. I then used the manafacturer recovery disc to format and restore. Now though the bootup stops with the message 'ntldr is compressed press ctl alt delete' every time I do this it just returns to the same place. The pc is an Advent T9200 using Win XP Home Edition. Does anyone have any ides what I can do next?

jay.p 01:07 26 Mar 2007

i found this reply on another forum..hope it helps.
First you need to boot to the recovery console.

To boot to the recovery console follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. Click(or press any key) to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. When prompted type "1" or if you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. Now you should be at the comman prompt and ready to repair the ntldr file!

Now all you need to do is enter the following commands(in order) and each command on a new line just like you see them here:

Code:
cd attrib -c ntldr
exit

Your computer should now reboot, and everything "should" work!

Gray3 22:23 26 Mar 2007

Thanks Jay. Unfortunately I never got a XP disc with the PC, it came with a recovery disc that loads windows and the rest of the programs. When I have used it there are only 3 options I can select. I take it I will need to get hold of a copy of windows to try this out or have I missed something?

jay.p 23:56 26 Mar 2007

what are the 3 options you are given.
can you get into safe mode .... As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.
Easier to keep pressing f8 about 3 times a second whilst it is trying to boot.
in safe mode try reloading last known configuration that worked and see if it loads up.
also you may be able to restore from here.

Gray3 00:08 28 Mar 2007

The 3 options are 1. Non-destructive restore 2. System restore-No Format 3. System restore-Format. If I click on any option it starts the restore process but doesn't let me do anything further until it's completed. The only option I have then is to remove the disc and reboot, which takes me back to 'ntldr e.t.c. When I press F8 as it reboots it takes me to the boot options:- 1.removable disc. 2.LAN, 3.CD or 4.hard disc. I've tried all these with no luck. The safe mode doesn't appear at any time.
The is some good news though. I tried my Advent laptop recovery disc and it booted the PC I then used the PC recovery disk so I kept the correct windows type (not sure if it would make a difference)and 'ingers crossed' I now have the PC up and running okay. Thanks again for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?