Unable to read data cds

Green Eyes 16:52 20 Jul 2008

Hi, I seem to have a problem whereby I cannot view/read data cds I have created on the same PC. My D (DVD-RAM)drive shows nothing in Explorer and when I click Properties the General tab shows both Used Space & Free Space equal to zero.

This has happened on more than one cd yet when I insert a pre-recorded audio cd it works perfectly.

Anyone any ideas what is wrong or how I can fix it? Any thoughts much appreciated!

Jim_F 17:57 20 Jul 2008

Are you usimng CD-Rs or CD R/W's ?

It could be you are not burning the CD correctly, the burning circuit/laser is faulty or your burner just doesn't like the media (make of CD) you're using.

Not sure why you describe the burner as DVD-RAM - it should have CD burner capabilities if you want to burn this media - most are but some aren't.

Green Eyes 18:11 20 Jul 2008

Hi Jim,

Using CD-Rs and same CD burning software as always. Explorer shows D drive as DVD_RAM but have always been able to burn and read CDs from here. I'm baffled!

Jim_F 18:20 20 Jul 2008

Sounds like the burning laser may be defective - can you see the change in the burnt area ?

If you can set your burning software to write and verify it should tell you if the burn is effective

Green Eyes 19:00 20 Jul 2008

When I try to burn a new cd it tells me there is no media in the selected drive despite there being a new cd inserted.

If it is a problem with the burning laser shouldn't I still be able to read a previously created cd? (which I can't).

Jim_F 08:17 21 Jul 2008

Yes - I misunderstood - if you cannot read CDs that had worked previously it sounds like the read capability has deteriorated.

This shows up on CDRs first because these write at lower amplitude than professionally produced music and data CDs.

Its worth trying a lens cleaner but if this doesn't work I'd be considering a new drive.

Green Eyes 19:39 21 Jul 2008

Thanks will try that - and maybe using a memory stick for backup in future!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?