Unable to play WMA/V files

sil_ver 17:00 24 Sep 2006

Not had this problem before so has me a bit stymied. I've tried to play clips on BBC News but all I get is a green viewing screen, the sound is fine. I downloaded a demo video of a game and it has the same problem. I've tried using both WMV and Realplayer as well as Realalt. I can put a DVD movie in and it plays fine using Realalt. I'm running WinXP(sp2) DX9.0c with a GeForce 6600GT Graphics. I use IE7 and F'Fox. As far as I can tell I'm up-to-date with Win updates and have the latest NVidia driver and my mobo drivers are current.

skidzy 17:22 24 Sep 2006

sil_ver do you get any warnings about your flash player ? Try this to see if your flash needs updating
click here its a common bbc problem.

sil_ver 17:32 24 Sep 2006

No skidzy, No warnings at all but I'll give your suggestion a try. I'm not hopeful as I have the same prob with a downloaded file.

sil_ver 17:54 24 Sep 2006

Nope! That (F'player) didn't cure it

skidzy 18:08 24 Sep 2006

Not to sure if this is a codec problem but should be worth a try click here

Have you tried in quicktime Alternative,this is just part of the full program,if successful you can always try the full package click here

sil_ver 19:01 24 Sep 2006

Downloaded both of the files but still no joy. The K-Lite codec did throw up several broken reg entries which I allowed it to remove. I also re-booted.

skidzy 19:29 24 Sep 2006

sil_ver im a little stumped on this at the moment,have you tried your Java click here=
and click the top link,

sil_ver 20:00 24 Sep 2006

Java's working fine

skidzy 20:09 24 Sep 2006

If it was working ok in the past week maybe system restore.

skidzy 20:11 24 Sep 2006

Try jetaudio sil_ver click here

sil_ver 20:35 24 Sep 2006

System restore isn't an option I'm afraid and 'Jetaudio' you pointed me at appears to be concerned with audio which I don't have a problem with. Thankyou for your input skidzy I appreciate it so if you think of anything else It'll be most welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017