Unable to play DVD ROMs

jamesom 22:10 09 Feb 2006

I have a Dvd player which allows me to play all my dvds(movies) and all my cds with no problem.Howver i recently bought civilization4(dvd rom) and it wouldnt work.Dvd player wouldnt register it and made a clicking noise whle the light on the dvd player flashed.Assumed i had a faulty disc and so returned to shop and got a replacement.Same problem with replacement.Now i have bought Farcry the game also a DVD rom and this has the same problem.I have checked all the drivers and all appears ok.However when i click on my computer both my dvd player and my cd player both say cd drive underneath them, but the dvd has a dvd symbol on the dvd icon.Any ideas what problem is??

Mytob 22:35 09 Feb 2006

are your sure ther dvd drives for starters. silly question i no but a easy mistake. second of all try looking for starforce as this is renound for screwing up cd and dvd drives and just general messing up your pc as iv discovered recently with one game. to check for it...

1. right click on my computer and click properties
2. go to hardware tab and click on device manager
3. go to view and click show hidden devices
4. expand non plug and play drivers
5. check for any referance to starforce

if you find it dl the removal tool of the net and run it and reboot and if your lucky it will be gone. it does not work for all aparntly but has worked for me so far.

jamesom 22:45 09 Feb 2006

Checked device manager but no reference to starforce(thanks 4 the suggestion though).Also its def a dvd player as i have 2 drives one which does play dvds and one which only plays cds.Somebody told me it may be a problem with my dvd decoder, im not sure though.Anyone know how to check that?

Mytob 00:54 10 Feb 2006

did you get a driver disc with it out of interest. i got one with my pc but have never had to use it but its worth a go if you have.

jamesom 08:36 10 Feb 2006

Only disc i have is for powerdvd which i assume would be useless

Mytob 22:14 10 Feb 2006

yes no use atall. check on google for the make of the drive and see if you can find any drivers for it. if you are compitent with computers then you could take the side of and check all the plugs are pusted in fully and are making good contacts. be careful when doing this as its easy to short stuff out and do more problems than you have at the moment!

Silverbeard 06:58 11 Feb 2006

I have same problem with two drives. Both play DVD movies OK, but won't play DVD ROM. Both drives now just over a year old, but have only just discovered this problem - apart from movies have been using only CDs.
Would very much like to know if Jamesom has found the answer.
Robert

Silverbeard 06:09 14 Feb 2006

Hi Jamesom

Hope you have managed to fix your DVD ROM problem. Since I have the same (or similar) problem I would very much like to know how you fixed it.

Many thanks

Robert

jamesom 13:44 14 Feb 2006

Havent yet had time to look for drivers on the net.Will let you know once ive tried that

jamesom 14:10 15 Feb 2006

searched for a driver on the internet but couldnt find so emailed LG(the dvd drive manufacturer)for the drivers who want me to send the dvd drive to them with proof of purchase, which i dont have so looks like i just have to get a new drive.

VoG II 14:18 15 Feb 2006

Have you tried the LG website click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites.

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?