Unable to open secure (https) web pages

Frank-P 08:56 24 Mar 2008

I am supporting a blind PC user with broadband from Talk Talk with a reported speed of 10mbs on a reasonably new Dell PC running Windows XP Home with Zone Alarm. Despite this, it seems to take an age to open ordinary (http) web pages, even on popular sites like bbc. Sometimes it times out completely. When trying to open secure pages (https) however, the IE7 progress bar freezes approx 50% of the way along and displays a blank page. Even if left for 10 minutes it does not revert to a time out message though. Talk Talk techies have adjusted the MTU rate (from 1432 to 1431 to 1400), reset the winsock, cleared the IE caches and various other bits I either can't remember or don't understand, but with no joy. Their best guess was that the PC was infeected with spyware which was hogging both Processor resource and bandwidth, however Task Manager shows typically 98% idle, there is virtually no visible broadband traffic and scans with spybot and adaware both showed minimal problems. I have also tried using Firefox instead of IE7 and disabling Zone Alarm, also with no effect. Anyone got any bright ideas please!

birdface 09:30 24 Mar 2008

Try Control Panel.Network Connections.Right click local area connection and press repair.See if any DNS problems appear.Switch all your add-ons off and see if it runs any better.Or Tools.Internet Options.Connections and make sure never dial a connection is dotted.or Control Panel .Administrative Tools.Services.Scroll down to DNS Client and make sure it is set to automatic.Or try this speed test to make sure that you are getting the proper speed from your ISP.click here

birdface 09:37 24 Mar 2008

Hi.You never said what Security programs he has and whether you have run any of them.Disabling Zone Alarm very seldom works.If you still get problems after trying out everyones idea's as a last resort I would delete Zone Alarm run C Cleaner and then reinstall Zone Alarm.Just uninstalling and then reinstalling will not work either, you have to run C Cleaner in between or any similar program.then reinsall.

Frank-P 12:01 24 Mar 2008

Thanks Buteman, I will try these next time I visit and will let you know the outcome.

Frank-P 13:41 30 Mar 2008

Hi Buteman.

Sorry to say that none of the above has made a difference. I have removed Zone Alarm completely, run c cleaner and installed AVG antivirus with Commodo firewall (both highly recommended on Cnet, and free!

Thanks for the advice anyway, it was worth a try.

Does anyone else have any bright ideas?

brundle 13:48 30 Mar 2008

DialAFix; click here

birdface 16:52 30 Mar 2008

While in IE7 click on to View Web page privacy policy.Make sure that there is nothing disabled on there.Have you tried a defrag.Or tried My computer.Right click C Drive and press properties.Tools.Check now.Tick both boxes you will probably have to restart computer for it to work.It takes about an hour.Mind you if computer is not running very well it could take a while.Just wondering if it will run quicker if not connected to the internet.Now I use Winaso Reg Optimizer[free] it only repairs 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like.It also has registry defrag with it that you can use.It also does an automatic back up.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?