Unable to open HD MOV files under XP

SparkyMarky 12:19 16 Sep 2008

Hi there!
I'm considering buying the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 compact camera because of its HD movie facility (res 1280x720, 30fps, MOV format). A couple of the reviews I've found on the net have included sample movies, but my laptop is unable to play them (there's one at click here) causing any media player I use to crash.
Apart from the fact that I'd like to see the quality of the movies before shelling out for the camera, I'm obviously worried that I won't actually be able to view them once I've made them. And because I use Adobe Premiere Elements to edit movies, I'm also worried that I won't be able to do anything interesting with them once I've taken them.
Does anyone have any idea why I'm having such problems - whether I need to download some codec that I don't have? I've spent a few hours trawling the net, but can't find any information. Any help would be very gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
x

eedcam 13:48 16 Sep 2008

Hi I could'nt download that one asit wanted me to buy quicktime .I got this one and downloaded
click here
and that plays fine on VLC player which is free
click here

PO79 13:53 16 Sep 2008

The movie you are trying to view is in Quicktime format. You need to download either the full Quicktime Player or a program called Quicktime Alternative, which is much smaller, and in my opinion better.

click here

SparkyMarky 14:29 16 Sep 2008

Cheers guys! Managed to get the clips to play with Media Player Classic. QuickTime Alternative refused to play one of them (and one I downloaded a few weeks ago). The quality's great, but I'm a bit worried that Premiere Elements might have the same problems. I'll fire it up on my desktop and see how it goes! Thanks for the help - you guys are *fast*!! :)

thanks again

Mark
xx

SparkyMarky 14:54 16 Sep 2008

Yay! Imported the samples successfully into Premiere Elements and exported them as an avi - and very nice it looks too! Now to whip out my credit card, buy the TZ5 and be parted from some cash!

Thanks again for all your help!

Mark
xx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?