Unable to open folders

m800afc 04:32 04 Sep 2008

Win XP Pro Sp3
I am unable to open any folders. When I try to open any folder I get an error message:
"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry...etc"

The error signature is:
AppName: explorer.exe
ModVer: 8.0.60001.18241
AppVer: Offset: 00122e20
ModName: mshtml.dll

What should I do to resolve this difficulty? At the moment I am unable to do much work because I cannot get access to my documents.

beeuuem 04:47 04 Sep 2008

Have you tried running system file checker?

Start> Programs> accessories> Command Prompt> type sfc /scannow. You may need your XP disk to repair corrupted files.

m800afc 06:59 04 Sep 2008

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, and put in my XP Pro disk when asked, and rebooted the computer when it had finished. Sadly the problem has not been corrected.
Any advice for solving this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sea Urchin 08:51 04 Sep 2008

I would try a system restore back to when it was last working properly

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:51 04 Sep 2008

Repair Internet Explorer explanation
click here

m800afc 13:30 04 Sep 2008

Sea Urchin
I have already done a system restore, which helped a little, however I am still unable to open "My Documents"

Fruit Bat /\0/\
The problem "seems" to be Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.

kalignorgna 13:40 04 Sep 2008

sounds like some of the installation files might be corrupt so try a os repair by inserting the xp disk, when it loads repair installation and it will replace ur os files with new ones it may fail to load one file on the repair but ur pc will still work fine

m800afc 14:27 04 Sep 2008

I did a boot to last known good configuration, then another system restore, this time to two months ago. This seemed to cure the problem.
Thanks for the advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?