Unable to open CD draw following MS update

Molly_Don 13:18 13 Feb 2011

Following reboot on MS updates, the CD draw on my Acer Aspire tower doesn't open!!

Any idea's?

STREETWORK 13:22 13 Feb 2011

Reinstall or update the driver for the disk drive usually works after an update...

Molly_Don 13:35 13 Feb 2011

Cheers STreet, do you happen to know which one of these apply for me?

click here

Nontek 13:41 13 Feb 2011

Alongside the open/close button on the CD Drawer you should see a small hole, this is intended for emergency opening of the drive using a straightened paper-clip, just firmly but gently push the paper-clip in until the drawer opens.

Molly_Don 13:58 13 Feb 2011

Managed to open as suggested with a paperclip, cheers for the tip

STREETWORK 14:46 13 Feb 2011

On the Acer web link you provided click on the selections to choose whech model PC you have.

This will eventually go to the page for the 'Drivers'. you may have to select Downloads from the menu options...

Molly_Don 13:27 14 Feb 2011

I'm stuck with which driver to chose

The options are:

Chipset Driver
Audio Driver
LAN Driver
Modem Driver
Modem Driver
TV Tuner
VGA Driver
VGA Driver

mooly 14:35 14 Feb 2011

The MS updates shouldn't have touched the CD drive. The eject button on the drive should I would have thought "operate whatever" as long as the PC was on without even needing the OS to be loaded.

If you press the Windows key and select "computer" is the drive showing OK. What happens if you right click it and select eject ?

Have you done a full shutdown and reboot rather than just a restart ?

mooly 14:37 14 Feb 2011

Forgot :)

CD Drives are normally USB devices... even if it's internal to the PC.

Have you looked in "device manager" in control panel and looked to see if anything has a yellow triangle against it.

Molly_Don 15:17 14 Feb 2011

Have you looked in "device manager" in control panel and looked to see if anything has a yellow triangle against it

Yes, all seem OK

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:21 14 Feb 2011

"CD Drives are normally USB devices"

No they are either SATA or EIDE

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers. they are in the windows\system32\drivers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?