Unable to open attachments in Win 7 Live Mail

tallboy 09:44 15 Sep 2010

I'm sure there is a simple fix to this problem - if only I knew what it was. Something has changed the way Live Mail works on my Windows 7 PC. I am unable to open attachements from within the email message. (If I click on them I simply get a 'hoot' from the PC speaker.) If I save them to a folder they open fine.

Hopefully someone reading this knows how to fix it - please let me into the secret!

Thanks

Tallboy

birdface 10:32 15 Sep 2010

You need the EMI file probably transferred from your other e-mail account.
Its either EMI or EML file first one I think.
Not sure how you do it though.
Its easy enough to do using Incredimail but not sure about the others.

birdface 10:38 15 Sep 2010

Make sure it is set to the default mail handler see if that helps.

tallboy 15:21 15 Sep 2010

Not too sure which other e-mail account you are referring to buteman. I've been using Live Mail for the past 9 months and it's been working fine up to now.

Where do you set the mail handler? (I only have Live Mail installed)

Woolwell 18:02 15 Sep 2010

Possibly a security setting has changed as attachments could carry a virus. Which anti-virus program? Also is this with all attachments or just one file extension?

tallboy 19:49 15 Sep 2010

I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 for my AV and Firewall. Re attachments: So far I have found it does it with PDFs & MS Word docs.

Woolwell 21:36 15 Sep 2010

Do you get any messages when you try to open the attachments or just a sound?

tallboy 22:13 15 Sep 2010

No messages - just a 'hoot' from the speaker

Woolwell 22:56 15 Sep 2010

Kaspersky has an attachment filter as part of its mail anti-virus. I have Live Mail on my laptop and I'll fire it up tomorrow to see if there are any other settings.

Is this an Hotmail account?

kathleenp980 01:39 16 Sep 2010

Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

birdface 07:43 16 Sep 2010

I used to have both Incredimail and Windows Live mail.Incredimail being my default mail provider.
I used to get attachments on incredimail and it would open Live mail for me to see them.
It took me about a month to figure it out that Live mail had taken my EMI file from Incredimail so managed to get it back to incredimail where it worked Ok again.
I also had to delete Messenger and reinstall it again to get both to work normally.
Maybe all you need is Messenger updated check it out and see if you have the latest version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?