Unable to move folders off Desktop

gerriecah 14:33 28 Jun 2008

Running XP, no problems until now but cannot move folders off Desktop, or from Program Folder to another, or Desktop to second drive, nor unable to delete them, tells me that another program is using them, but No programs are running at all, other than mst defrag, Zone Alarm and AVG.

Any help much appreciated

Gerriec

hiwatt 14:35 28 Jun 2008

Not really a solution to your problem but you could try deleting the folders in safe mode.

Technotiger 14:36 28 Jun 2008

Have never had to use it myself, but try this ... click here

gerriecah 16:37 28 Jun 2008

Further to my previous posting I decided to shut down but XP would not play ball. Produced that dialog that Windows was using a program and I would have to close it before it would shut down, I clicked on the OK button, but a second box appeared with the same message, so I clicked OK again and a third box appeared. So I pressed the mains switch and killed the computer. I left it for a half hour and restarted it and tried once more, lo and behold all the files and folders disappeared as requested.

Technotiger --- had a look at that "UNlocker" proggie, downloaded it but not tried it. Kinda dubious about it but will try it if the circumstances arise again.

Many thanks for your help guys, hope that the problem is cleared.

GerrieC.

mfletch 17:52 28 Jun 2008

Unlocker is very good,

It looks like your system had a hiccup as a restart has sorted it out

lotvic 17:56 28 Jun 2008

you said "No programs are running at all, other than mst defrag, Zone Alarm and AVG"

If the defrag program was in the middle of doing stuff then that is prob why the folders wouldn't budge.

gerriecah 18:03 28 Jun 2008

Thanks for your response. Yes I took that into account and checked, all defragging was completed and "done" but I shut it down anyway, and there was no difference. Task Manager indicated that no programs were running. Just a "Bill Gates" sniffle. I hope.

mfletch ---- Will hold onto Unlocker, it may be needed yet.

Starting another thread on another prob.

Many Thanks,

GerrieC

MAT ALAN 18:04 28 Jun 2008

click here

this may help...

gerriecah 18:14 28 Jun 2008

Thanks for Your response, checked that out but all permissions are OK as I am Administrator and have permissions granted, but interesting site will have to have a thorough read.

Many thanks

GerrieC

MAT ALAN 18:22 28 Jun 2008

click here

method for deletion...

gerriecah 18:54 28 Jun 2008

Thanks for your advice, took a look at that thread, in fact copied it and noted address. Will really study it later, BUT seems a rather risky procedure, would have to really be last minute remedy.

Pulling the plug seemed to work easier, and a system restore could repair any damage, providing the Restore Points are not lost.

Many thanks, given room for a lot of thought.

GerrieC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?