Unable to login to Broadband

rainbow79 06:44 23 Dec 2004

Broadband is finally available in my area through trilogy. I've installed (and re-installed) the modem and drivers ok I think - both the power light and the ADSL light are on - but I'm not able to login. When I click on the login icon I just get "The page cannot be displayed".The guy on the tech helpline told me remove my Norton Anti-virus and Firewall and to try the command prompts "ipconfig", "ipconfig/release" and "ipconfig/renew" but to no avail. If anyone has any ideas I'd be most grateful! Thank you in advance.

I have a laptop with windowsXP and it's a Binatone ADSL500 modem, that plugs into the USB thing.

Diemmess 07:40 23 Dec 2004

Forgive the standard advice... but

Reinstall the Binatone software with the USB unplugged at the most convenient end.

At last and only WHEN PROMPTED - plug the unmade USB connection in, and hopefully..........

-Rainbow 12:28 23 Dec 2004

I need plenty of standard advice!! I'd already tried that one though. :o(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:45 23 Dec 2004

Have you got the micro filters fitted to you phone sockets?

Tools -internet options - connections (make sure never dial a connection is not ticked) always dial my default connection.

Tools -internet options - connections - settings
check username and password are correct.

Tools -internet options - connections - settings -advanced untick the two disconnect... boxes.

JIM 13:01 23 Dec 2004

"need plenty of standard advice" thats fair enough :) Can i ask questions :)

How many lights should come on with your Binatone ADSL500 modem? (sorry do not know that model

When you log on have you any icons in taskbar,(near clock,poss saying enabled?

Do you have the network connection showing for the adls 500 modem etc, in show all my connections via start connect to.?

Just looked at your model of modem ,it shows 3 led lights so i think you better also tell us how your broadband system is setup.Starting from the BT box to your laptop.

Also are you using the same system to get to us now?

rainbow79 04:58 28 Feb 2005

Thanks all. Trilogy sent someone out to check the line. We didn't have micro filters on all the sockets - both the instructions and the helpline had neglected to tell us this - however the line engineer still couldn't get it to work after two hours. Another guy was supposed to come the following week but in the meantime my laptop broke! It would start up with the "Samsung" thing then just go blank except for a series of vertical white lines in a horizontal strip near the bottom of the screen and we were advised to get another. Broadband works on the new laptop just fine. Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?