Unable to log in on any account except my son's

Kerswell 10:42 14 Oct 2007

Since my son used the pc yesterday (google kids & teens). My pc starts up and goes to log in screen. I can enter my password and log in, but very soon after reaching the home screen it reboots (time after time).

I can get in via my son's account (limited a/c) and have run anti-virus and spyware successfully.

I have my personal account as admin and the original account as admin.

There are two further accounts; wife and guest. Wife has used hers recently before this problem. Guest has not been used for a long time.

I can't do sys restore on limited account?

johnnyrocker 10:46 14 Oct 2007

you need in my opinion to run a virus scan on your profile if that was the one your using, try safe mode on your profile.

johnny.

Kerswell 10:53 14 Oct 2007

How do I reply to your comments please (I am an idiot I know). By the way the only account I can log into is my son's. All the others reboot from the home screen.

Kerswell 10:54 14 Oct 2007

Sorry (now being really thick)

Kerswell 10:56 14 Oct 2007

How can i do that Johhny?

johnnyrocker 10:58 14 Oct 2007

open your profile in safe mode if xp ie keep tapping F8 during boot up. then run your av scan with system restore cancelled.

johnny.

Rusty66 12:09 14 Oct 2007

Many thanks for your interest. I had a wireless keyboard which wouldn't go into safe mode. Managed to get hold of a wired one and have done safe mode and then system restore and it appears to have sorted it. Don't know what the problem was . . . very strange.

You did mention virus scan on my profile but the computer had not been logged into by anyone but my son when the problem arose. I had not been able to log into anyone's account without it rebooting (except into my son's account). Sys restore seems to have sorted it but i would really like to know what the cause was so that i can safeguard against it happening in the future.

Cheers,
Kerswell

tullie 12:29 14 Oct 2007

Whos Rusty66?Start your own thread.

tullie 12:31 14 Oct 2007

Oh!!Is rusty Kerswell!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?