Unable to launch Internet Explorer 8

Cara2 17:05 15 Jan 2011

Running Windows XP.

My sister has recently moved house and is using the current broadband ISP - Talk Talk or Tiscali.

She is able to successfully connect to the internet, but unable to launch Internet Explorer - "cannot display web page" (Never a problem in her previous house). Unable to get a wired connection, so using a wired connection.

We have tried restoring defaults.

Any ideas please?

Sea Urchin 17:23 15 Jan 2011

"Unable to get a wired connection, so using a wired connection"

Not clear what connection she is using?

birdface 18:07 15 Jan 2011

Try Internet Options.Advanced and press reset..That resets Internet explorer to its original condition.
Maybe add Firefox and use that temporary.
or try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and press enter on the keyboard.
it should tell you the DNS cache has been flushed.
if so reboot and see if it works any better.
or try Internet options.programs and make sure Internet explorer is the default web browser.

Cara2 19:50 15 Jan 2011

Sorry, I meant no wireless connection - she has a wired connection.

Buteman - thanks, we had tried all your suggestions previously having searched these forums. However. If you can't open a web page as the only browser won't work how is it possible to download another browser re your firefox suggestion?

GaT7 20:38 15 Jan 2011

--------------------------------------------------
CAN I ASK EVERYONE ELSE TO PLEASE REFRAIN FROM USING THE DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINKS IN THIS POST - THANKS

If you can email her, send her this link to download Firefox directly (hopefully the internal download manager still works): click here

If that doesn't work, send her this direct link to download Orbit Downloader (a download manager): click here

Tell her to install & run Obit > click on New > copy the direct Firefox link above & paste it into the box that pops up > click on Download.

Once downloaded, she can double-click the file in Orbit > Completed to install Firefox. G

CAN I ASK EVERYONE ELSE TO PLEASE REFRAIN FROM USING THE DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINKS IN THIS POST - THANKS

Cara2 21:21 15 Jan 2011

Crossbow7 sounded brilliant idea - until I realised she cannot get email without using browser.

GaT7 21:32 15 Jan 2011

I see, so she doesn't use Outlook Express / Outlook / similar program to download her emails? G

Cara2 21:59 15 Jan 2011

No, hotmail.

GaT7 22:11 15 Jan 2011

Has she tried a sfc /scannow scan?

Start > Run > type sfc /scannow > press OK.

Please note that there is single space between sfc & the forward slash, so: sfc[single space]/scannow

Let the scan run to completion & reboot.

-------------------------------------------------

Other options I can think of are:

- to download the appropriate programs for her, burn them to a blank disc & post it to her.

- or, if she had a USB flash drive, she could visit the local library, download the required files & save them to the USB drive.

- or, she has nice neighbours, she could request them to use their computer for a little while to download the files & save them to a flash drive. G

Cara2 10:30 16 Jan 2011

Thanks for all your replies - received a text to hear she is back online - will let you know the fix if I find out.

Cara

GaT7 13:15 16 Jan 2011

Glad to hear. Tell her to download & install Firefox. Always wise to have a backup browser just in case. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?